Monday, October 5, 2020

NEW DAY

Monday, 5th October 2020


There have been many changes and much water has flowed under the bridge since I last kept records. Blogger has changed and I'm not keeping up to date with technology so this could be interesting and not in a good way.

I am older, 81. I have been a widow for almost 30 months. I live in a flat adjacent to my youngest son's home. I am still recovering from all the stuff life has thrown at me and my general health reflects this.

Recently I discovered Muscle Fuel. Heat and eat keto meals are delivered to my door. This is like an answer to a prayer as I was beyond getting my head around making all my meals as healthy for me as possible. In fact I was going down a slippery slide of anything quick that I didn't need to cook. Lots of butter, bread or corn wafers, and takeaways 'supplemented' by meals I had with family. 

I first of all I ordered a selection of meals to try them out. I've found that I prefer to decant my meals into an oven proof dish and heat in my benchtop oven rather than microwave. It means I have a little more washing up but the difference is worth it. I have now been eating the keto meals for 10 days and I've lost just over a kg. I'm also beginning to feel general improvement to my mental and physical health.

I don't want to go into huge detail here at present but having these meals seems to be working for me on all levels. 

I've had a rocky start. I was doing so many things that I knew weren't good for me. For instance I have been drinking Nescafe Vanilla Latte sachets with a big splash of Baileys first thing. Usually I would only have 2 cups in the morning but sometimes up to 5 cups in a day. I was becoming addicted to Corn Thins slathered in butter and sandwiched sometimes with jam. While John was with me it was easy not to fall into crazy patterns. On my own I became chaotic. I had many changes to make. A few weeks ago I reduced the amount of wheat products including bread in my diet.

Today I can say that I no longer eat anything wheat and I no longer drink anything alcoholic. Goodness knows why I even started since I rarely have alcohol anyway. I'm definitely low carb and probably on the verge of being in ketosis although I have no way of measuring right now. I did have a couple of days last week when I wondered if I was going to make it but having the prepared meals meant I had an easy solution. I didn't go scrounging for 'off plan' stuff. For the first time that I can remember I kept having visions of bread layered with butter and day dreaming about the sandwiches I could make. That was weird. I also had a sore throat and a lot of sneezing for a couple of days. Fortunately I considered that it might be something like Keto Flu and I wondered if the sore throat was a stress reaction to the lower carb diet. I beefed up my vitamin B for a few days and relaxed my food a bit for a day. Hey presto. I woke up free of all symptoms the next day. That was a relief. It's extremely unlikely that I had been exposed to Covid 19 but it was also on my mind.

I joined up with Muscle Fuel to do their Keto Dash 8, an eight week programme. I'm not 100% on the plan but expect to be by tomorrow night. I must say many of the meals are not to my taste but there are enough that I like I think I'll be able to stick with it. I'll be adding my own fresh salads and greens when I'm in the right mood.

Just to say how chaotic I am.... Today I've been up since 6.30 am and have only had 1/2 cup of black coffee in the last 5 hours. Time to get a meal out and have a proper drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment