Wednesday, November 13, 2013


It's good to be back getting into my well worn track although I'm still a bit all-over the place.

The last couple of days along with my anxiety took a toll. My anxiety was wasted .... as it always is Smile The surgeon said plaque build up was not the problem. The artery was no longer strong enough to stay open on it's own so a stent was inserted. This morning John walked freely again. Cheers!!! No-one mentioned the statin word although one nurse advised John he must take a whole aspirin everyday. He's been taking a 1/2 tablet every second day otherwise he gets awful bruising and every time he gets a tiny skin abrasion he bleeds madly. He will continue with what he's been doing and I am suggesting that when he has blood tests in abut 6 months he will probably be able to stop taking all the aspirin too. I can't see the point if he's healthy. I guess they have to advise according to the set protocol ... We are being treated like peas in a pod instead of individuals. What happened to good medicine?

I am paying the price for all my anxiety and travelling. Feel slightly better now that I've had my first cup of keto coffee since Monday morning, (today is Thursday, 8 am). I had been craving sugar in my coffee and last night was looking for a high carb hit.... only nuts and chilli flavoured rice crackers available so not too much damage done.

Tuesday it was nearly 7 am when we left home. I had been up since around 5 am after sleeping poorly. I made a kumera, (sweet potato), and broccoli frittata ..... more like an American casserole, with 10 eggs, bacon and cream cheese. Because it came straight out of the oven in time to leave the house I took it all with us ... enough to feed 10 people. We had time to go to a Cafe for breakfast before going to the hospital at 11 am. We had beautifully served Eggs Benedict on gluten free toast. 

At the hospital, and after the usual being sent from here to there and hanging around, John went off to Day surgery and I went to a waiting room. The waiting was tedious, about 2 hours in a room of chatty people with TV running background interference. I tried to turn off all of this, and stay absorbed in my Michael Connelly book, which was not too hard most of the time. 

John had about 4 more hours to stay quiet. The list of care for day surgery includes food. They offered John a sandwich, "gotta have some carbs!" Fortunately I'd packed our normal lunch food of salami, olives etc. so John did not need to starve. But because food is on the list he was offered icecream and jelly which being a man he was delighted to eat Smile Once they'd made sure there was no immediate risk of haemorrhage we went to the studio flat, hospital accommodation for out-of towners, we had booked. It was OK but again I didn't sleep well.. hospital beds, plastic pillows and all that, but lovely view from large windows. Next time we will go to a decent motel. We were able to take our time yesterday morning and I had NestlĂ© coffee sachets and frittata for breakfast before leaving to visit my sister. She had a nice ham salad for our lunch and I was fine when we left about 2 pm, although I was feeling tired. We still had 3 hours travelling plus a stop for groceries. I began to lose the plot and felt really grumpy as John drove the twisty roads through the hills. Exhaustion was setting in, my eye was aching and it was too warm in the car. We had a lovely sunny day but the car has no AC. 

Finally we pulled in at home to find a campervan had parked up. We have advertised our place as a 'Park-Over-Property' in the absence of a campground in our area. We love meeting folk who travel but it was too much for me. I don't know where John got his energy from but I guess he was still on a bit of a high after finally getting some real relief from the discomfort in his leg.

I concentrated on putting away groceries, cooking some sausages to go with heated frittata and getting in another cup of coffee. I couldn't get into bed fast enough.

Today should be a Fat Fast. When I got up I wondered how I was going to do it but now that I've got some keto coffee into me I think maybe I can do it. But .... I will need to do at least 3 days as close to very low carb with lower than usual protein to get my ketone numbers acceptable again ... not to mention weight. This morning I recorded 3 kg/7 lbs above where I should be if I hadn't messed things up. Ho- Hum ... off to work we go Rolleyes

So that's my up-date of our last few days and a lengthy post it is too.

No comments:

Post a Comment